Apple + Sage Meatloaf
Serves about 6
2 large sweet apples, peeled and grated
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup day old bread, ground into breadcrumbs in the food processor
1/2 cup milk
1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a small baking sheet or loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. Grate the apples over a clean towel, then wrap the grated apples in the towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can into a seperate bowl. Enjoy the fresh juice to sip on and use the squeezed grated apple for the loaf.
3. In a mixing bowl add the grated apple, onion, breadcrumbs, milk, and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Next, add the ground pork, ground beef, rosemary, sage, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined. Turn out onto a parchment lined baking sheet and mold into a meatloaf shape of even thickness, or place in a parchment line loaf pan. Top with a layer of ketchup.
5. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a thermometer when inserted into the center reaches 165 degrees F.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with extra ketchup.
Seasonally appropriate + soul warming, this meatloaf is perfect for a cozy family dinner! Pair it with mashed potatoes, roasted veggies and/or a green salad for a complete meal. We love this simple dressing that goes well with any fall salad and would be great on a salad with this meal: ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon apple molasses, salt + pepper to taste. Shake in a jar and toss with your salad!