The transition from one season to another is always fun - the bounty of one season is filling our plates, while the end of another is still lingering. This Between Seasons Salad offers the best of both worlds with summer's late harvest of mixed greens and gorgeous chioggia beets and fall's pick of squash and apples.
Between Seasons Salad
Serves 2 -4
1 chioggia beet, thinly sliced
1 delicata squash, sliced and roasted
1 apple, thinly sliced
4 cups mixed greens
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Vinaigrette (yields about one cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice delicata squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Slice into ¼ inch half rounds. Toss with olive oil and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast squash for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until lightly browned.
- While squash is roasting, chop beet and apple.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all ingredients to mason jar and shake vigorously to combine.
- Add greens to a large bowl and arrange beets, apples, and squash over top. Lightly drizzle veggies with the vinaigrette, but don’t pour the whole jar on the salad! Save remaining vinaigrette for up to 7 days.