Particularly throughout the colder months, comfort food is what we're craving. Warm, rich, and hearty - but not too heavy - this recipe for Braised Kale with Chicken and Grits is perfect for dinner on a chilly night and easy enough to make after work!
Braised Kale with Chicken + Grits
Makes four servings
1 lb pastured chicken thighs
1 bunch curly kale
1 blood orange, peeled & segmented
1 pint red grape tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 bunch thyme
1 cup grits
1. Bring a heavy-bottom pan to medium heat and add oil; season the chicken and sear on all sides.
2. Deglaze the pan with a couple tablespoons of water; add a sprig of thyme and place the lid on the pot. Cook until the chicken is done and liquid is reduced.
3. In a separate pan, heat oil to medium heat and add chili flakes and garlic, and cook until just fragrant; add tomatoes, then kale, cooking for about 1-2 minutes on high heat and then add about ¼ cup water, reduce heat and cover.
4. Once greens are tender, add to pot with chicken and cook together for a couple minutes; add orange segments.
5. Make grits by vigorously whisking together 1 cup and 3 cups water; if you have stock or cream, feel free to replace it with some of the water to make the grits more rich.
6. Add a couple tbsp butter, a pinch of salt, and Parmesan, if you have it on hand (it makes the grits really pop!); let rest.
7. Serve greens and chicken on top of the grits and enjoy!